HomeMessage from the ChiefNew InformationMission / VisionMeet The OfficersPhoto GalleryCrime PreventionRecords / ReportsDepartment HistoryServicesSex Offender RegistryApplication PacketFAQ's

Equalitis Subter Juris - Equality Under the Law


FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS Below is a list of commonly asked questions and the answer to each question. If you do not find the answer to your question on this page, please call our non-emergency number: (641) 932-7815.



The Albia Police Department is located in the Monroe County Public Safety Center at 114 19th Ave West Albia, Iowa. 52531.  We are open 24 hours a day, every day.


Can you tell me the condition of the roads? - The Iowa State Patrol offers a road report "hot line" at 1-800-288-1047 or 511 on your cell phone or  This service is updated as often as possible during periods of bad weather. Please do not call 911 for road conditions, as this ties up the line from receiving emergency calls!


Does the City of Albia have a severe weather outdoor warning system? - Yes, the emergency outdoor warning system is activated whenever the National Weather Service issues a tornado warning for Monroe County. Additionally, actual sightings of tornadoes by Law Enforcement or other reliable sources are grounds for activating the warning system. An important note: we do not issue an "all clear" siren. For additional information, please refer to local radio and television stations. Please do not call the Police Department during severe weather situations unless you have an actual emergency.


I received an obscene/harassing phone call. What should I do? - If you receive repeated prank phone calls, phone harassment or other calls that might require follow-up with specialized phone equipment, contact your local phone company directly.


How can I obtain a copy of an incident or accident report? - The Police Department Administrative Secretary will provide copies of reports for insurance companies, etc. for a nominal fee. The office is located at the Monroe County Public Safety Center 114 19th Ave W.  and administrative services are available from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm - Monday through Friday.


Where is the Courtroom? - Magistrate Court is located on the first floor of the Monroe County Courthouse on the square in Albia. Please check in with the Clerk of Court on the second floor if you are scheduled to appear.


How can I obtain a restraining order against someone? - There are several ways to obtain a restraining order against someone. You may want to consult with a private attorney and have them represent you. In cases of Domestic Abuse, a victim can go directly to the Clerk of Court and get assistance with the paperwork.


Where can I pay a traffic ticket? - Traffic tickets are handled through the Clerk of Court Office. If you simply want to pay the ticket, and an appearance is not required, then you can either mail or bring the appropriate copy of the ticket, plus the fine and fees, to the Office of the Clerk of Court, 2nd floor, Monroe County Courthouse, 10 Benton Ave. East. Albia, Iowa 52531.


How do I contact the Animal Control Officer? - All questions concerning animal control, for domestic animals ONLY should be directed to the Emergency Communications Center at (641) 932-7815 and they will make contact with Animal Control and relay your problem to them for action. Only domestic animals within the City of Albia can be picked up. There are NO animal control ordinances in rural Monroe County, and action related to native animals should be referred to the Iowa Department of Natural Resources.


I want to know if someone is in jail. - Persons taken into custody by the Albia Police Department are transported to the Monroe County Public Safety Center in Albia. If the person is an adult, and we have them in custody, we will tell you that information over the phone. We cannot discuss the details of criminal cases over the telephone, or in person, unless it is with the arrested person's legal counsel. We cannot discuss cases involving juveniles with anyone except their legal guardian or legal counsel.


I want to report a missing person. What information do I need? - Technically, a missing person is defined as any individual, of any age, who is missing and is under any proven physical or mental disability, or who is missing under circumstances indicating the disappearance is not voluntary, or after a catastrophe. In the case of minor children: abducted by a non-custodial parent, or lost. Generally, in order to report a missing person, you must appear in person at the police station, complete a detailed description of the missing person, and indicate why you believe the person should be considered missing in the context of the above definition.


 I want to issue a complaint against an officer. What do I need to do? - Contact the Chief of Police at (641) 932-7815 or to inform him of the occurrence. He will assign an Internal Affairs Investigator to take your written statement and investigate the incident.


I would like to have an Officer talk to my neighbors and me or my civic group about crime prevention. Is that possible? - The Police Department has Officers available to make presentations on a variety of topics to groups. Presentations such as:

Crime Prevention - Bike Safety - Stranger Danger - Red Ribbon Week - Police Forensics - Crime & Deviance -DARE and K-9 Demonstrations.

Tours of the Police Department may also be arranged. Call the Chief's Office at (641) 932-7815 to arrange for a speaker or tour.


If you have any questions or comments that haven't been covered in FAQ's please let us know. E-mail us at





Albia Police Department - Albia, Iowa